Local Farmer’s Market

All winter long I look forward to going to the farmer’s market in late spring. After a whole winter of being deprived from the taste of fresh picked herbs and vegetables, the first day of farmer’s market gives me the feeling of ‘a little girl in the candy store’. If you have ever tested fresh (same day) picked produce then you know what I am talking about. And yes, I found and bought Michigan grown asparagus. It was very tender and delicious. This weekend I found a variety of lettuce, spinach, rhubarb, radishes, fresh baked bread and the best pickles I have ever tasted. The produce you find here is nothing like the ones in the supermarkets, for one thing it has not been sitting around and sprayed with water all day long. It has not lost all of its nutrients in the long ride to the supermarket. And, it lasts longer in your refrigerator.

Besides buying great tasting food, you get to know them as well. Why buy local you ask, here are my reasons:
- Use less gasoline, the produce is traveling fewer miles than the ones in the supermarket.
- Cut off the middleman
- You get exceptional taste and freshness
- You are helping your local economy and supporting the family farm

The http://www.localharvest.org/ site will help you find farms, farmer’s markets and grocery co/ops near you.

Happy feasting.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for that link! I'm going to take my kids to the farmer's market this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love farmer's markets. We have a litle farming community just outside our city, and they have so much their. Apples, peaches, approcots, berries, and so much more. I love the sweet corn that is a mix of white and yellow. Oh, I could eat ten ears of it easy. heehee.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment