Pleasantly Surprised at the DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts)

Detroit Institute of Arts: Detroit, MI
We visited DIA few weeks ago, and I was pretty impressed with all the renovations and the new look.  In fact I was so excited about our visit that I thought I share some of the highlights with you. 

The first thing that caught my eye was this Chinese Money Tree.  When the kids were small, I used to tell them that 'Money didn't grow on trees', I guess I was wrong and there is a money tree after all.
Here is the famous Rivera Court (the murals painted by Diego Rivera), even though I have seen it several times, every time is like the first time.   Check out this slide show courtesy of Flickr


Another one of my favorites is the ceiling of the great hall.  I apologize for the quality of my pictures, which is why I have included some better pictures from Flickr in addition to the ones I took.  First the good pictures:


And now some close-ups I took





From the Modern wing


Linear Construction No. 4 - Naum Gabo (1962).
Girl Reading - Pablo Picasso (1938 oil)
This sculpture has given me many future pendant inspirations

Cubi I - David Smith (stainless steel, 1963)
I thought this beaded necklace by Joyce Scott called 'Flaming Skeleton # 3 - Glass beads and thread (1993)' is just amazing, especially since I am found of skeletons in jewelry.



This sculpture's form also caught my attention; unfortunately, I was in a rush and didn't get the artist's information. 



And now moving on to the third floor where you find fashionable living, fine china and period furniture exhibits.  Below is a picture of an 18th century French Chateau setup.


and last but not least the interactive virtual 18th century dining experience table.   It starts with the first meal at 4:00 pm, followed by the main course at 5:00pm and finishes with desert at 6:00 pm.  The presentation lasts about 5 minutes, but it is truly a one of a kind experience. 




You can see better pictures and read about the whole suite of interactive installation at the DIA at New Work: Detroit Institute of Arts
If you are in Detroit, make sure to visit the DIA.  You can learn more about their special events and other programs at Detroit Institute of Arts Web Site

Comments

  1. Looks like you had a really good time! So many cool and exciting things! we had the good fortune to visit the Picasso museum when we were in Paris several years ago. It was fascinating, though I am not a huge fan. That would be my daughter! Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment