My Blog is Carbon Neutral!

I received an email today that said my blog was creating carbon dioxide and asked that I click a link to learn more.  I care about the environment and you can imagine my surprise.  My first thought was this is a scam, and if I click the link I am going to download a virus or something.  But, I was curious, so I kept on reading.  It turns out that this a German company that is planting trees in cooperation with the Arbor Day Foundation in Plumas National Forest in Northern California for their project to neutralize the carbon footprint of blogs. For every participating blog, they plant a tree. One blog - one tree.  Sounds like a good idea, so I clicked their link http://www.kaufda.de/umwelt/co2-neutral/my-blog-is-carbon-neutral/
The first thing that caught my eye was the statistic below:
an average website causes about 0.02g (0,0008oz.) of carbon dioxide for each visit. Assuming an average blog gets 15,000 visits a month, it has yearly carbon dioxide emissions of 3,6kg (8lb.). This can mainly be tracked back to the immense energy usage from (mainframe) computers, servers, and their cooling systems.
I have heard how cars and manufacturing companies were creating pullutions, but I never thought of computers.  I found the information very interesting and from there I ended up at the Arbor Day Foundation site. 

Do you know that :
  • Arbor day for Michigan is the Last Day of April?


  • Michigan's State tree is Eastern White Pine?

Learn more about Michigan's trees at http://www.arborday.org/states/?state=MI

Learn how you can celebrate Arbor Day by going to the http://www.arborday.org/arborday/celebrate.cfm site.
This site has a lot of good ideas.  I think I try to do some of it right here on my blog.

I hope this post has inspired you to take a look at these sites and learn more about how you can save the earth, the forest and our environment.  I hope you comment back here with your findings and a link to your articles.



What Tree Is That?  What Tree Is That?: A Guide to the More Common Trees Found in North America  Happy Arbor Day (Snapper) - Cross Stitch Pattern

Comments

  1. Amazing! The thought that surfing the next added to pollution never occured to me either. What a grea idea kaufda has. I will head over there now.
    AudreyGardenLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative. My blog is climate change blog. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great initiative. I just joined in the initiative by making by blog carbon neutral and I've already received an email saying my tree will be planted next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. found you through link love. Very nice blog, happy to follow :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment